At MAFCU, we believe that good financial habits begin young, so we offer a range of Youth Accounts for all ages. This range is designed to meet the changing financial needs, and evolving maturity, of a child as they become a young adult.
Open the Youth Account that's right for your child or grandchild.
|Cash Critters Club for Kids||$5.00||$5.00||1.000% 1||0.025%|
|Student Plus||$5.00||$5.00||1.000% 2||0.025%|
1. 1% interest applies to dollars $0 to $500. Regular interest rate applies to amounts over $500.
2. 1% interest applies to dollars $0 to $500. Regular interest rate applies to amounts over $500.
- Cash Critter Club
MAFCU's Cash Critter Club is a great way for children up to age 13 to get started and makes learning about saving and money fun. Not only is learning about banking and budgeting important, with the Cash Critter Club, it's also cool! It offers:
- 1% Interest on first $500 in account*
- Incentives for deposits.
- Special events throughout the year.
- Convenient 24-hour account access for parents through free online banking
* 1% interest applies to dollars $0-$500, regular interest rate applies to dollars $501+.
** To open a cash critter account you will need to provide the child's original social security card or birth certificate to verify identity. A social security number is required to open the account.
- Student Plus Program
The Student Plus Program is designed to help actively enrolled students age 14-20, save money, establish credit history, and learn about financial services. Students can open this account with an opening deposit of just $30.
- 1% Interest on first $500 in Student Plus Savings Account.1
- 1% Interest on first $500 in Student Plus Checking Account.1
- No minimum balance requirement or monthly maintenance fees.2
- Free MAFCU Visa® Check Card.
- Free Online Banking with Bill Pay.
- 0.250% Auto Loan Discount with Automatic Loan Payments.3
- Visa® Credit Card with up to a $500 limit.3
- Access to Over 75,000 Free ATMs Nationwide.
- Free Mobile Check Deposit within the MAFCU Mobile App.
- Free first order of 50 basic checks.****
- Optional overdraft protection of up to $750 with Privilege Pay so you can avoid the embarrassment of bouncing a check or having your debit card purchase declined. You must opt-in for this service. *
- Button Overdraft Protection Opt- Attach to Overdraft Opt In form
- $5 "Congrats Deposit" for each scholastic or athletic award earned in the current quarter.
1. 1% interest applies to dollars $0 - $500, 0.025% interest applies to amounts over $500.
2. Minors must have a parent/guardian as a joint owner. Students must show proof of enrollment.
3. Loans to Student Plus members require signature of a parent or legal guardian as co-applicant. Student Plus member must be employed and have at least a 3.0 GPA to qualify for discount. Student Plus member and parent must bring proof of income.
* Must be over the age of 18 to be eligible.
To open a student plus account a social security number is required. We will ask to see your driver license, government issued ID or other identifying documents.
- 2018 College Scholarship Opportunity
Your Words or Pictures Could Be Worth a Cool $1,000.00.
Are you headed off to college or trade school in 2018? Well MAFCU is pleased to announce a college scholarship opportunity to make it easier for you to meet tuition costs. The $12,000 Credit Union College Scholarship Program for 2018 is underway now! College-bound members are eligible to apply for one of ten $1,000 essay-based scholarships - one $1,000 video-based scholarship; and one $1,000 photo-based scholarship. And, yes, you may apply in all three categories!
Deadline for applications is March 31, 2018. Scholarship winners will be announced in April 2018 on the Credit Union Foundation MD|DC's scholarship website: www.cufound.org/scholarship.
This year's essay topic: "Describe the value found in credit union membership."
This year's video topic: "Create a 60-second credit union ad to attract young members (age 16 – 24)"."
Photo applicants are asked to capture and submit a photograph that represents the credit union core value, "Community."
Any member of MAFCU who is entering their freshmen through senior year of college or trade school may apply.
"We're pleased to offer this opportunity for our young members," said Bill Brooks, CEO. "The awardees receive needed financial assistance to help them meet their tuition expenses and the application topics stimulate innovative and useful responses to help us better serve our college-aged members."
MAFCU, the Credit Union Foundation MD|DC, and its generous supporters partner to make this scholarship program possible.
Congratulation to MAFCU member, Scott Holmes for winning the 2017 CU Foundation Scholarship Award.
- Student Loans
The dream of a college education can be yours with a low-rate private student loan from Mid-Atlantic Federal Credit Union. Available through the Credit Union Student Choice program, this loan helps a student fill the gaps left by federal student aid-even if they receive no federal aid at all.
These loans, which are in the name of the student but often require a co-signer, are not guaranteed or subsidized by the government. Instead, they are based on the student's credit and/or the credit of any co-signers they have on the loan.
Our private student loan solution:
- Offers zero origination fees and lower rates than many other lenders.
- Allows for fully deferred payment while in school (optional).
- Gives the student a full Line-of-Credit (LOC) which can be used over multiple years. With one application we will qualify you for a LOC for the remainder of your undergraduate career (up to $75,000).* You will determine how much of the eligible LOC amount we should send to your school during disbursement periods.
- Offers flexible repayment options resulting in lower initial payments after graduation.
- Gives you the chance to reduce your interest rate by 0.25% during full repayment when you enroll in automatic payment.
- All applicants must be a primary member on a Credit Union account.