Get to Know MAFCU
Important Information on New Secured Chip Technology Credit Cards
Mid-Atlantic Federal Credit Union is excited to announce improvements to our credit card program, including enhanced security with the new EMV chip, online access to view your account, a new credit card design and electronic statement availability. This will mean a few changes to your account, and we want to make sure you know exactly what's happening.
April 10, 2017 - New MAFCU credit card mailed
April 24, 2017 - Old credit card becomes inactive at 6:45am EDT
April 24, 2017 - Call 1-855-851-5344 to activate your new card starting at 6:45am EDT using the last four digits of the primary cardholder's Social Security Number
Your new credit card will come with the following new features:
- EMV Chip Technology: Your new credit card will have an embedded microprocessor chip that stores and protects your data. It will help increase security and reduce fraud. The EMV chip will be in addition to the standard magnetic strip.
- 24/7 Cardholder Service: Call 301-944-1800 or 1-800-956-2328 for balance inquiries, payment information, transaction history, statement requests or to dispute a charge.
- Online Access: Real-time credit card information, including transactions, pending activity, payment information and custom email alerts, plus sign up for electronic statements when you log into your account online at www.mafcu.org.
What to know:
- Your new card will be mailed April 10, 2017. Please wait 7-10 business days for delivery.
- New cards will be mailed to all cardholders, regardless if you are primary or secondary cardholders. Your credit card number and your expiration date will change.
- For security reasons, each secondary cardholder will have a new individual card number, CVV number and expiration date.
- If you plan to use your card at any ATM, you will be required to use a PIN. You can select your unique PIN during the activation of the card or call at a later time to select your PIN.
- If you have automatic payments made with your current credit card, make sure to contact each vendor with your new updated credit card number to help avoid any interruption in your service.
- For your convenience we have included frequently asked questions. If you have any additional questions or inquiries before the conversion date of April 24, 2017, please call us at 1-301-944-1800 or 1-800-956-2328.
- Call 1-855-851-5344 after 6:45 AM EST for card activation and PIN request.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why am I receiving a new credit card?
- MAFCU is changing the credit card processor to better serve your credit card needs. This change requires that a new card be issued.
Will my interest rate change as part of this conversion and card issue?
- No. Your interest rate and other terms on your account will not be changing.
Will I have a new PIN number so I can access cash from my credit card?
- You will no longer receive a PIN in the mail, and your old PIN will not work with the new card. You can select your unique PIN by calling the number on the activation label and choosing the PIN option.
My existing card does not expire for quite a while; can I continue using my existing card until expiration?
- No. Your existing card will not work after April 24, 2017 at 6:45 a.m. EDT. Instructions will come with your new card to ensure it is ready to use on or after April 24, 2017.
What is EMV?
- EMV stands for Europay, Mastercard® and Visa®. EMV chip technology is becoming the global standard for credit card and debit card payments. This smart chip technology features credit cards with embedded microprocessor chips that store and protect cardholder data. This standard has many names worldwide and may also be referred to as: "chip and signature."
Will all merchants be able to accept my EMV (chip) credit card?
- Yes. Your card will be accepted at all merchant locations.
My spouse and I both have MAFCU credit cards, and I only received one card. Will my spouse receive a card?
- Yes. As a security feature, all cards being issued with this conversion will have a unique number and will arrive separately. However, you will continue to receive only one bill, regardless of the number of cards on the account.
What do I need to do if I have preauthorized or recurring payments that are tied to my existing MAFCU credit card?
- To ensure there is no interruption in recurring or preauthorized payments (such as monthly telephone, electricity, gas bills, insurance, clubs, etc.), contact the merchant immediately upon receiving your new card number and expiration date.
Will the due date for my credit card payment change?
- No. Your due date will stay the same.
Will I need to send my payment to a new location after the conversion?
- Yes. The new address will be included on the statement. If you pay this bill through online bill payment, you will need to update the mailing address to P.O. Box 2711, Omaha, NE 68103-2711 on or after April 24, 2017 to ensure that your payment reaches the processor by your due date.
I setup my monthly credit card payment as an automatic ACH transfer, payroll deduction or as a recurring transfer. Do I have to make any changes?
- To ensure there is no interruption in automated payments, contact the provider of this service (i.e., another bank or bill pay service) immediately upon receiving your new card to provide your new card number and payment address of P.O. Box 2711 Omaha, NE 68103-2711.
Will my previous card history transfer to my new card number so I have access to the information if needed?
- You will not be able to access statements/history online after April 24, 2017, so we recommend you save the statements to your computer or print hard copies before this date.